Welcome to the Native Windows Port of the OpenACS system!
This is Version 1.23 (7th of August 2011) of Windows-OpenACS port and it consists of the following pieces of software:
- aolserver-4.5.1 aolserver-4.5.1 (CVS HEAD of the 05/08/2011) – including
- nssha1 126.96.36.199
- nspostgres 4.1
- nsoracle 2.8a1
- nsopenssl 1.77
- External binaries:
a. wget – http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm
b. convert, cp, cvs, date, diff, ftp, gzip, iconv, ln, ls, mkdir, mv, pdftk, ps, rm, rmdir, sh, shutdown, tar – http://www.cygwin.com
c. htmldoc – http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/
d. trml2pdf – http://sourceforge.net/projects/kraft/
NOTE: Version 1.23 of WindowsOpenACS has been sponsored by Quest Computing Ltd.
This port has been generated with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional Edition.
Compatible Windows Versions
This port works on the following systems: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008; the port runs natively on both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions of Windows.
How to get it
Windows-OpenACS can be downloaded here.
- Run the Windows installer “windows-openacs.exe“.
- Click “Next” to continue.
- Read the text and agree to it (press the button “I Agree“).
- Select the installation mode (it is better to use the option “Install for anyone using this computer“) and press the button “Next“.
- Select the folder where you want to install the software (blank characters are not allowed) and press the button “Install“.
- Wait for the installer copy all required files and request your permission to continue and then press the “Ok” button to perfom the following steps.
- Wait for the installer to finish the installation of PostgreSQL, create some initial databases, install the Microsoft VC++ 2008 Redistributable, create and set-up the OpenACS and .LRN Windows services. Press the “Ok” button to continue.
- The installer informs you on what to do after reboot. Press the “Ok” button to proceed.
- The installer lets you verify the actions perfomed during the installation. Press the “Next” button to proceed to the reboot section.
- The installer needs to reboot your computer to complete the installation. Press the “Finish” button to reboot your computer.
- After having rebooted the system, wait for 2/3 minutes and then use the Start Menu Commands “Open Dotlrn” or “Open OpenACS” to have access to the applications. In both OpenACS and .LRN there’s a predefined admin user (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, password: abc123).
- This Windows-OpenACS installer doesn’t work on a machine where PostgreSQL is already installed. In this case the installer will warn you about the error condition and stop the installation.
- This Windows-OpenACS installer doesn’t work on a machine where Cygwin is installed. In this case the installer will warn you about the error condition and stop the installation.
- The Windows-OpenACS installer installs PostgreSQL, OpenACS and .LRN as Windows services in automatic mode (they don’t need to be started / stopped manually). In case they don’t start automatically, use the commands in the menus of PostgreSQL and Windows-OpenACS to start them.
- Start first PostgreSQL and then either OpenACS or .LRN.
- Stop first OpenACS or .LRN and then PostgreSQL.
- In Vista and Windows 7 the commands to start / stop a service must be run by the administrator. Right click on the menu command and select “Run as administrator“.
OpenACS Web Interface
Building and compilation instructions are available here.